Saturday, September 15, 2012

NCFF Day 2- Fiber Sandwich

What is a Fiber Sandwich, you ask? Well, a Fiber Sandwich consists of wool and other fibers (not necessarily animal- any kind of spinnable fiber) which are sandwiched together, divided up, and then spun. Sounds like it might be dull, right? Nope, it's a hoot.


Everyone who wanted to participate (including me) donated 4ozs of any kind of spinning fiber. Volunteers fluffed and spread the fibers out, layer after layer. They're just starting here- trust me, there was a BUNCH of wool by the end.


After all of the fibers were spread and floofed and sandwiched, they were divided out evenly- each person who donated fiber got a bag of assorted fibers. The above was my bag of fiber- quite a jumble, eh?  All of the spinners then had this afternoon (and part of tomorrow morning if necessary) to spin those fibers any way they like, into any kind of yarn. I taught a morning class and had the afternoon free, so I decided to separate out the colors and spin a medium single, which I then Navajo plied for a 3-ply self-striping bulky yarn.
 It is no small trick to spin and ply 4 ozs of yarn in a single afternoon. Certain niceties had to be ignored- like getting out all of the lumps.
 However, I think my yarn turned out gorgeously. Each of the skeins will then be put out for a silent auction tomorrow, with the proceeds going to the general NCFF fund.
 I am really pleased with how my yarn came out- it'll make a nice stripey hat I think.
Tomorrow, I'll take pics of the other yarns. Prepare to be amazed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like so much fun? Can't wait to see all the picks, your yarn's gorgeous.

Connie Peterson said...

Great idea!!! I hope next year to contribute.

Elizabeth D said...

I am already amazed! That is beautiful, and I want it!! Alas, I am hundreds and hundreds of miles away, and the auction is over.