Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sort of wordless Dollies

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, I had a small kiln and an assortment of molds. I made porcelain dolls. I sold a few, but mostly I wrote about making the dolls and I designed clothing patterns for them, and I kept most of them for myself (though a few were given as gifts).

The kiln and molds were lost in a fire in '93, and the dolls have been in storage since '01, but a conversation on Facebook today reminded me of them. I dug through some tubs and found these two dolls. They were both made from the same mold. The girl in white and her baby doll are porcelain and china painted. The taller doll is ceramic, painted with acrylic paints. The white satin outfit is totally hand sewn from mostly vintage fabrics (though the modern ribbon and lace look terrible to me now). The Green velvet was vintage but not all that vintage (maybe 10 years old when I made it). I made both wigs- the brown is camel hair, the red is mohair.

I can see a lot that I would do differently now, but I still think these girls are rather pretty. You can decide for yourself.












3 comments:

Fríða said...

OMG, they are gorgeous! and even more so when I know that you made it all yourself, by hand!
best wishes from Iceland
Frida
ps. yes, I always read your blog, but am sadly very lazy at commenting.

Nora said...

Wow! They are LOVELY.

Anonymous said...

I think they are beautiful!