Friday, February 19, 2016

The Side Project that took over my life

I might have mentioned that I am waiting for word on the two book pitches that my agent is circulating among the editors and publishers right now. I can't talk about either one until I know what's happening with them. I also can't work on either one until I know what's happening with them, so, I started a little side project to fill my time.

And it sort of took over my life.

And it's done now, or at least as done as it can be until I get my proofing copy back.

Are you ready?






That's right- I drew a paper doll coloring book!

The target market for a book like this is mostly me, and I am certain no traditional publisher would want it, so I am publishing it myself through Amazon's CreateSpace service. It will be a 50 page (the way book pages are counted- only one side is printed, the other is blank, so really... 25 actual pages) , 8.5" x 11" book, with 2 dolls, 7 pages of late '60s outfits to design, 7 pages of the same fashions already embellished and ready to color, and 7 pages of those outfits printed in full color to cut out. For free-standing dolls, you can either use a copier to print the uncolored dolls on card stock, or you can color the doll pages and then glue them to card stock and then cut them out. I wanted to put them on the cover (like old style paper doll books) but that just wouldn't work. The cover price will be $11.99, and when it's ready to order, I'll post a link to the side of the blog main page.

I have had a lot of fun with this project- it has been many years since I drew a paper dolls (many of my designs were published by magazines in the '80s and early '90s). My table has been strewn with prototype pages and dolls and pieces for ages.

The book has been put together, and I am waiting for my proof copy to arrive now. There was a learning curve in figuring out how to make sure that the images all print out true to size, because, you know, clothes that don't fit the dolls are a real pain. I am pretty sure I got them all sized correctly, but I'll know for sure in a week or so.

Here are a couple of sneak peeks at the styles and outfits.







Each outfit page will have a version where you can design your own prints and embellishments, and one already finished to color (as well as a full-color version). Lots of options for fun!

I'm really excited about this book, and I'll keep you posted on availability.

2 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

Kathi, I think of you EVERY time I see a paper doll book! So thrilled to see what you've done with this one - the outfits and fabric embellishments are fantastic. Also super excited to hear you've pitched more book ideas! can't wait to hear what they are and how it goes :^)

Linda said...

This is wonderful!